ABC Gillies Avenue
ABC Gillies Avenue in Epsom, part of the BestStart family, is a beautiful, purpose built childcare centre with a lovely natural outdoor area shaded by native trees. It is located within easy reach of Auckland city and motorway links.
We cater for children from 3 months to 5 years old and have a qualified teaching team to support your child’s learning and development. Our centre and team are diverse; we have many cultures and languages from around the world and we enjoy celebrating our cultures together, through special occasions or festivals and learning from each other.
We value and recognise children as competent and capable learners, this is reflected in our environment where children are encouraged to develop their independence and build self-confidence. Our teachers work very closely with you and your child identifying their interests and skills and planning activities that extend their learning and development further. This learning is documented in each child’s on-line individual learning portfolio and displayed around the classroom.
We encourage and build effective relationships with our parents and whanau. As your child’s first teacher you have a vast amount of knowledge and insight into your children’s learning and development. By working together, we can ensure that your child has the best possible start in life
A Forest Kindy
Our ABC Gillies Ave children develop confidence and self-esteem through learning experiences in our natural environment.
Forest Kindy encourages children to take supported risks within the natural environment. Forest Kindy develops a sense of wonder and discovery in the outdoors, encouraging self-esteem, independence, confidence and creativity.
We have regular excursions to explore nature in our local neighbourhood. These experiences extend children’s interests, helping them feel connected to the natural world and their community.
There are key learning aspects of the Forest Kindy :
- Children becoming familiar with the local environment and their place in it.
- Exploring nature close up, asking questions and investigating to find the answers.
- Understanding how to keep themselves safe, whether it is climbing a tree or crossing the road, children are given strategies and tools that they can use to make sure that they keep themselves and others safe.
- Taking responsible risks; in our society children’s ability to take responsible risks is very limited, by giving them the tools and strategies for keeping safe children can begin to understand the implications of the risks that they take. Without exposure to responsible risks children do not develop this skill and as a young adult may lack the ability to judge if the risk is a responsible.
Healthy Heart Award
We are committed to ensuring our children receive healthy and nutritious food. We follow the guidelines for the Gold Healthy Heart Award and pride ourselves on the quality of food that is served to your child. We cater for many dietary requirements and allergies.
What else can you expect from our centre?
• Friendly, passionate, committed teachers
• Tips from experienced teachers on all the milestones such as toilet training or sleep routines
• We have a Be School Ready initiative that supports children in developing the skills needed to be ready for school.
• Regular centre events such as Mother’s Day, Matariki and Christmas celebrations
• Outings into the community, visits to Epsom library and local parks
• Strong links to the local community such as visits from the Police and Fire Service, visits to the local Primary schools and library, to support children’s learning.
Click below for our centre events and stories:
We are excited to offer our families access to Storypark e-portfolios. They are a great way to keep up to date with what you child is doing while at the centre. You can log in to the secure platform wherever you are in the world to see what’s been happening in their day, check out photos of them and comment on their activities. Click here for more information about this fantastic resource.
“We love that there is plenty of space, natural light and adequate shade for the play areas. Delicious and nutritious food is available. The children are supported to find their own way and take responsibility for their person, the toys and their environment” Ellie Jan 2017
“Great team of teachers that are friendly, supportive and professional. Lovely environment for the children to be cared in. StoryPark is a great way to see the children growing and learning capturing those moments which are precious to parents.” Helen Jan 2017
“The teachers have supported me around my child’s sleep routines at home and while at the centre. They also provided a sleep consultant evening which was really helpful, supportive and positive. The teachers are well trained and communicate well with the parents they treat every child as an individual and support them to reach their goals.” Sarah Jan 2017