ABC Mayfield in Blenheim provides a fun, safe environment that offers quality early childhood education and care. We believe that children learn best through play, so we provide a large interactive playground and lots of excellent resources, including people and time. Your child will have great experiences while they are learning and growing at our centre.
Children are encouraged to develop self-help skills enabling them to become confident in all areas of the curriculum. Literacy and numeracy are part of our everyday programme. This supports children to become independent learners as they explore technology, books, games, speaking and listening activities and the natural world around them.
We understand that all children are unique and learn and develop at their own pace. Children are encouraged to set the pace for their learning and we support them with their own goals and challenges. We respect their choices and encourage them to respect the environment and each other. They so they develop good social skills to support the building of friendships and an understanding of how people work together in a community.
Ensuring that every child has the opportunity to reach their full potential is a challenge we as teachers enjoy, sharing this learning journey with you is our pleasure and we are proud to be part of your community.
What makes ABC Mayfield so special?
– We’re big on whānau and actively encourage you to join us in your child’s learning
– We have a large playground which supports physical play and active exploration
– We offer a mixed age range where older children support the younger children to learn and develop (tukana-teina relationships) – fantastic for siblings!
– Our community is represented by many cultures and we welcome the diversity, sharing and learning about others all the time to create a more inclusive world
– We provide a calm atmosphere with a friendly, nurturing and creative teaching team
– We offer nutritious morning and afternoon teas and the children bring their own lunch boxes – a useful skill for school
– We have an extension room where the four year old children can participate in a planned learning session to extend their current knowledge and interests. This gives the children an introduction to the structure they will face when they move to primary school (the other children also use this room to extend their play)
– We have a pet rabbit who the children have named ‘Carrot’. He supports our children to learn about caring for others, sharing, keeping our pets safe and loved. They help clean out his cage, feed him and take him for walks – and he enjoys lots of cuddles!
– The children have an edible garden where they grow food, not just kai for themselves but kai for their rabbit and sometimes our community as well
– Our family corner is large and has lots of real resources for the children to extend their imagination and make sense of their world through dramatic play
– We have Key Teachers who are responsible for planning for a small group of children to ensure your child’s learning is extended and you have a point of contact
Ask us about our unique Be School Ready initiative
“Thanks Alisha..lovely to see Lyds growing and learning more we are proud of her and I just want to thank you and all the teachers for taking such good care of her and the other children..you make it easy to leave her their knowing she is in good hands thank you.”
“Thank you to all the support you have shown Jizy whilst she attended here, She will definitely miss you for all, I know that for sure.”
“Very good and caring Staff, completely understanding of the needs of the children as well as the parents.”
“I recommend ABC Mayfield, my children have been attending this preschool for nearly 4 years, unfortunately we are leaving Blenheim. My children have learnt so much.”
“Thanks very much for the great job you have done with Sa.”
“Fantastic preschool. I am definitely going to miss everyone.”
“Thank you very much for all your support and Jahvarniah’s learning over the past 3 years.”
We are excited to offer our families access to Storypark e-portfolios. They are a great way to keep up to date with what your child is doing while at the centre. You can log in to the secure platform to see what’s been happening in their day, check out photos of them and comment on their activities. Click here for more information about this fantastic resource.
Stories from ABC Mayfield
ABC Mayfield’s Be School Ready Room
ABC Mayfield – Fun with pegs
ABC Mayfield’s Bus Adventure
ABC Mayfield Easter celebration
ABC Mayfield’s St Patrick’s Day celebration
ABC Mayfield featured in The Blenheim Sun
Science play at ABC Mayfield
ABC Mayfield’s visit to Gordon Handy