ABC Stokes Valley
Welcome to ABC Stokes Valley, part of the BestStart family. Our childcare centre is tucked away in a quiet residential street within walking distance of the local library, parks and schools and offers quality care and education for children aged 3 months to 5 years. We are a fun, creative and community orientated centre that celebrates individuality and cultural diversity.
To work collaboratively with parents, whanau and the community to grow children to positively impact the lives of others.
- We provide a programme that extends the children’s knowledge, curiosity, skills and dispositions to enhance new and continuous learning
- We work in partnership with family and whanau
- We promote reciprocal relationships with our community
Out and about in the community
Here at ABC Stokes Valley we are committed to building strong relationships with children, whanau and the community we live in.
- Once a week a group of children from each room visit the local library, for a Baby Bounce session and a Story Time session.
- Through the help of a personal trainer the older children are taken for an Active Movement session once a week at the local Rugby Club Gym and park.
- As part of our Be School Ready Initiative the 4 year olds are involved in regular visits to the local schools (Koraunui, Tawhai and Tui Glen) in preparation for them starting school.
- We also operate a Pay It Forward sharing and caring initiative, where the children make and take food for the foodbank, make meals for families in need and make and deliver morning tea to a local community group, for example, Plunket, The Library and The Stokes Valley Community House.
- We are currently developing a community garden, so that children and community can work together to support each other and learn about the benefits of growing our own healthy produce.
Family and whanau are a big part of life here at ABC Stokes Valley. We hold monthly events as an opportunity for families to get together. This includes events such as Easter and Christmas parties, Matariki, cultural celebrations, shared meals, parent education workshops, parent/teacher interviews, performances by the children and displays of their learning. We also encourage parents and whanau to be involved in our weekly excursions into the community and be involved in our centre programme.
Infants and toddlers
In our Tahi room, our passionate team of teachers follow our youngest learners cues and rhythms providing a respectful, calm and unhurried environment to explore at their own pace and in their own time. They are dedicated to following the principles of the RIE Philosophy and the Pikler approach.
In the Rua room, we have an enthusiastic teaching team who encourage the children to take the lead in their learning and to follow their interests. We support our children to become capable and confident explorers through learning, discovering and researching alongside them through ‘The Project Approach.’
Be School Ready initiative
This initiative is introduced when children first start at our centre through the way teachers support children to develop independence, make decisions, problem solve and develop a love of learning as well as providing experiences that promote literacy and numeracy in all play areas. At the same time as they get older we ensure that they are able to take responsibility for themselves, their belongings and others as these are all important skills for school.
In preparation for school we have also built very close relationships with the local schools in the Valley and visit them frequently with the children to support a smooth transition.
Call in and visit us or give us a call for more information.
See our centre in action:
Read about our centre’s latest events and stories
Ask about our unique Be School Ready initiative.
We are excited to offer our families access to Storypark e-portfolios. They are a great way to keep up to date with what your child is doing while at the centre. You can log in to the secure platform wherever you are in the world to see what’s been happening in their day, check out photos of them and comment on their activities. Click here for more information about this fantastic resource.
“I just want to say how much I appreciate the quality care and education Ryder has received from ABC over the past year! Ryder has learnt so much and his confidence has grown too, it’s a big thank you to ABC for this as your quality of teaching staff is AMAZING! Thank you again.”
“The staff have been very welcoming of our family into the centre. They are friendly, responsive and show a genuine interest in our family. They communicate effectively about our son’s day, and celebrate his successes with us. I feel really confident that our son is well cared for and given lots of time and attention when he is at ABC. It is really telling that he get’s excited when we pull up in the car in the morning, waves and smiles at the teachers and children when we walk in the door, and gives his teacher a big hug and waves goodbye to me with a smile when I leave for work.”