First Steps Roydvale
First Steps Roydvale, part of the BestStart family, is a quality childcare centre in the Christchurch suburb of Burnside.
We offer a balance of self-choice and structured educational experiences, based on the Early Childhood Curriculum, Te Whariki. We provide a range of core curriculum activities, such as messy play, water play, creativity, dramatic play, music, books and puzzles, reading, writing, blocks and construction and play dough throughout the day where the children are free to explore and extend their interest.
A portfolio is kept for every child containing learning stories, photographs and occasionally art work. These portfolios provide historical and developmental information for you and are invaluable tools for teachers to use in the planning and implementation of group and individual programmes to meet your child’s interests, needs and developing skills. These portfolios are kept in each child’s room and can be seen by parents at any time. We encourage and value parental input and will offer suggestions of what could be added by whānau members.
We also run a Be School Ready initiative with the support of Roydvale Primary School for 30 minutes in the morning to ensure four year old children are prepared with all the skills they need for school. We look forward to discussing with you how our programme can support your child on the path to becoming a happy, confident learner.
What else you can expect from our childcare centre:
- Individual learning portfolios for each child
- High teacher to child ratio
-1:4 in the Nursery
-1:8 in the Preschool and Toddler room
- Morning, afternoon and all-day sessions available
- All meals provided – incl. two course lunch.
- Primary school visits
- “Home away from home” atmosphere
What makes us different:
- We provide hot meals made onsite by our cook. All food is provided here and we can assist with children who have special dietary requirements.
- We have a homely feel. We are two renovated houses which were upgraded in 2009 to include an entrance, toddler room and sleep room. We are a mix of the ‘old’ with the ‘new.’
- We have two large outdoor areas with vegetable, herb, vertical and pallet gardens – all created by the staff and children.
- We have 3 rooms catering for 0-2 years, 2-3.5years and 3.5-5 years.
- We have a close relationship with the local schools and have a school visit once a month for some of our 4 year old children to experience the school environment
We have a Healthy Heart Award!
For more information on the Healthy Heart Programme, click here!
We are excited to offer our families access to Storypark e-portfolios. They are a great way to keep up to date with what your child is doing while at the centre. You can log in to the secure platform to see what’s been happening in their day, check out photos of them and comment on their activities. Click here for more information about this fantastic resource.
“After 18 months at First Steps Roydvale, Rhys is ready to leave to start his school journey. What a fantastic experience Rhys has had. He has made some lovely friendships and has adored his teachers. A huge thank you to the effort and commitment they have made helping hime become a confident, happy and social child.”
“It’s my daughter’s second home. She loves it and happy to be a part of it. As parents we receive huge support/guidance from centre.”
“The kids love going to school, they are always happy coming home and I have not second thoughts about the kids being there. We even chose our house in the area close to school so that we did not have to move the kids from the preschool.”
“Many beautiful things cannot be touched. They are felt within the heart! Loving and caring for our child through all these years …is one of them! Thank you for guiding her, for inspiring her, for being her friend, for making the world a brighter place, for making her what she is. We appreciate and thank you for all your hard efforts in caring and guiding her in these early years and we are certain that your efforts will certainly influence her for the rest of her life and the person she grows into.”