TopKids Harrison Street
TopKids Harrison St childcare centre is located in central Whanganui. At TopKids Harrison St we focus on warm nurturing relationships to support children to achieve their full potential.
We are open Monday to Friday from 7.30am to 5.30pm, welcoming children from birth to school age. We offer morning and afternoon sessions as well as full day attendance to support your family’s needs.
At TopKids Harrison St we want every child, parent, family member and person in the community we meet, greet and connect with during the day to feel that we have made a positive difference in their lives. We do this in the following ways:
- We build respectful relationships with you and your child that reflect a deep sense of care and kindness.
- Your child will gain real life experiences through regular planned and spontaneous excursions into our community utilising local public transport as well as walking. These excursions build on their sense of being a part of our community as we explore all the wonderful places our ‘backyard’ offers.
- Your child will feel a sense of belonging within our centre and be confident to welcome our extended family and visitors to the centre.
- Your child will learn the importance of paying kindness forward every day to make each day a little brighter through small acts like baking for our neighbours and singing to the elderly next door.
- You and your child will be a part of our commitment to sustainability and social responsibility, your child will develop an ecological awareness, learning respect and care for our environment and to have strong connections with nature and the natural world, including planning, planting and tending to our community garden.
We would love you to come on this journey with us.
Learning for Life
At TopKids Harrison St we believe a love of learning starts from birth. Our Be School Ready initiative involves cutting edge teaching styles that support children to be resilient, resourceful, creative problem solvers, who can work alone and in teams to achieve their goals. Our children enjoy challenging, edgy learning and are continuously stretching their brains, their skills and their dispositions.
“I chose TopKids Harrison Street due to it’s learning through play system and the great teachers. Play based learning helped Kadyn transition to school in so many ways. He gained motor skills, maths skills, social skills, and problem solving skills all of which he uses at school now”
“Ty is excelling at school and I’d like to thank TopKids for all their work and effort teaching him what he know now. Keep up the great work, top job TopKids Harrison Street”
“I love how you guys do so much fun stuff with the kids that I as a parent don’t have time to do and when I go to pick my child up I love hearing about her day and all the new little things she is doing and getting up to.”
“Thanks ladies, you are making this transition super easy for my daughter by being SO supportive.”
“I would like to say what an awesome welcome our family received from everyone at TopKids Harrison, friendly staff and a big thank you to Kelsey for the video of Vaughn having a kanikani, his father and I so loved it. We have noticed our son is coming home showing us new things he is learning, those are awesome moments”
- When you first start with us your child will have a key teacher to support them and you as you both settle in. Your key teacher is there for your child during the day, offering support and guidance during care moments and teaching opportunities. Your key teacher is always there to listen, making sure significant and magic moments about your child’s day are shared with you.
- We offer personalised daily routines that are caring and respectful and plan learning experiences based on your child’s interests and developmental stage using natural and authentic resources.
Pounamu (Young Children)
- When children find themselves in environments that are beautiful, soothing, full of wonder and discovery, they feel intrigued, respected and eager to spend their days living and learning here.
- Our Pounamu room provides all day care in a fun stimulating learning environment for children aged from 2 to 5 years.
Te Awa Community Kindy (Sessional)
- Our community kindy provides sessions between 8am to 12pm and 1pm to 5pm making this a great space for utilising 20 free hours for children over 3 years.
- In this room you will notice less interruptions during the day as the children all start and finish at the same time
- Natural materials, soft furnishings, plants and quiet background music along with a lovely natural environment all help create a homely and nurturing atmosphere.
We are excited to offer e-portfolios to our families through Storypark. This allows our children and families the opportunity to connect with family and friends from all over the world and keep them up to date with what has been happening here at TopKids Harrison St. We utilise Storypark to provide our parents/whanau with photos of their child’s day and an opportunity to read about precious moments happening in real tie through our community ‘daily diary’ posts. We encourage families to download the free app for Storypark which supports families to read and comment on any learning stories, videos and our daily posts as well as sharing your own stories with us.
Check out our centre’s latest stories and events
We are excited to offer our families access to Storypark e-portfolios. They are a great way to keep up to date with what your child is doing while at the centre. You can log in to the secure platform wherever you are in the world to see what’s been happening in their day, check out photos of them and comment on their activities. Click here for more information about this fantastic resource.